CanLit

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

So, read anything Canadian lately? I just read an instagram post about The Very Marrow of Our Bones, which intrigued me and reminded me to check this board, actually. I also have Heart Berries on my list – I know a little about that community. It’s fun to read about a place you know.

I was interested in The Boat People which Anne mentioned recently in a blog post but haven’t had time to get to it yet. It is about a refugee boat that reaches Vancouver. Reading Louise Penny was good for me because it was at the time I knew I would be moving to Canada. I haven’t heard of the other two you mentioned.

Lilith, I recently read Brother by David CHARIANDY, and I would highly recommend if you haven’t read it. I was also able to meet the author and he was absolutely endearing. Sarah, I just picked up The Boat People last week and am looking forward to reading it… Possible buddy read y’all? Wow, that was a very non-Canadian thing to say eh? But not until June, please. Wait, June is next week, how about the end of June?

I am waiting for my hold of The Boat People to come in. I had such a little thrill when Anne mentioned Canada Reads during the Summer Reading Guide Unboxing. 🙂 You can tell it is still popular from Canada Reads here as it has the longest hold of any of the SRG books my library system had.

Keri,

I hadn’t heard of Brother but I looked it up and it does look good. I’ll add it to my (long) list. I am intending to read the Boat People, maybe it would be fun to do our own little Canada Reads. I also feel hopeless about my place on the library hold list, but maybe I will just buy a copy.

Has anyone read North of Normal? I just started it – it’s the memoir of a woman who grew up in a ‘back to the land’ family in the Kootenays. It’s going to be my own little pairing with The Great Alone, I hope.

Hello from Vancouver!

I love Canadian literature! I have read The Boat People, an absolute must 5-star read!!! And am now in the middle of A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki (set in small town near Campbell River on Vancouver Island and in Japan). So far, it’s a fantastic read.

I also highly recommend Canada Reads 2018 winner Foregiveness, by Mark Sakamoto. It is simply a stunning memoir. Sakamoto’s paternal grandmother survived the Japanese internment here in Vancouver, while his maternal grandfather survived as a POW for the duration of WWII in a Japanese camp. His writing of this story that weaves together in unimaginable ways is brilliant….

Finally, the Break, by Kathleen Vermette, another Canada reads contender (last year) is an excellent read. This is a story about family, culture, and voices that have been silenced. Vermette’s writing is layered with the ability to tell one story while conveying something else. This book personalized the voice of the murdered and missing women, it illuminates Canada’s highway of tears…

Gosh I could go on forever here!!

PS – I just purchased North of Normal on Kindle, I think it’s still on sale. It, too, will be my flight pair8ng for The Great Alone, bwahahaha, great minds think alike!

I will be in Vancouver in October.
        Do you have any recommendations for bookstores that I should visit?
        Thanks!

I discovered a great new used book store last week (Canterbury Books on Commercial Drive) and they had discounted copies of The Boat People AND Brother. I can’t get to them right away though. I’ve added your suggestions to my list, CanaryJo, and they also sound great, though heavy – I read heavy books, but I need to space them out with nonfiction or something light or they drag me down…..I’ll post when I get to them.

Is anyone else planning to read the CBC Canada Reads short list over the next month? I’d love to chat about them as I follow the debates.

https://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/meet-the-canada-reads-2020-contenders-1.5433115

My friend and I are reading them! I’m starting Son of a Trickster as soon as I finish my current read. Have heard really good things about it from a lot of friends.

I’m still working on the 2019 shortlist, but I have a copy of Son of a Trickster, so maybe I’ll try that soon!

Daniella, I started Son of a Trickster this morning, how about you? I’m into it, the narrator’s voice is engaging and it’s fun to read a book set in BC – there are so few, really. I plan to read about 50 pages a day.

Lilith

Daniella,

Have you gotten to this one yet? I just finished. I loved the author’s voice, and the idea of mixing of teenage mayhem and magical realism. Overall, it was a bit dark and weird for me though.

Lilith

Hi Lilith,
      I finished this one last week. I love dark and weird so I really loved it! A friend of mine said that she likes the next book even better (trickster’s drift) even better so I’m looking forward to that. The only thing I didn’t like was the narrator’s voice at the very beginning, when he’s a young boy. It said he was 5 years old I think, but to me the voice was much older. Did you or anyone else notice that? I don’t have kids, so maybe my perception is off, but I do spend time with kiddos at work and it really struck me as an odd voice for such a little kid.

Just finished ‘From the Ashes’ it was a safe account of drug addiction effecting one Indigenous family. Written in small chapters and poems, much easier to digest this life, very different from my own.
      Maybe I’ll read Son of a trickster next, so I can chat with you guys. I heard it’s part of a trilogy

Daniella,

I didn’t notice that at the time, but I just went back and looked and I see what you mean. It’s in third person, not first, so maybe we’re getting 5 year old Jared through the eyes of 16 year old Jared??

I’m hoping to read all 5 of the Canada Reads books, but not back to back, so it will take me a while!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020  Modern Mrs Darcy | Design by contemplate design | Privacy Policy

Forgot your details?