Young Jane Young discussion questions
- What consequences do Aviva and the Congressman face due to the fallout of their affair? Is it true that he “ended up fine”?
- In what ways has society, and specifically gender bias, changed over the time period covered in the novel?
- How are Rachel and Embeth different? Can you articulate why each made the choice she did?
- Discuss the varying narrators and their formats — Rachel, Jane, Ruby, Embeth, and Aviva. Are any or all of their choices defendable? Did the rotating narrators “work” for you?
- This story unfolds through the eyes of several women of differing ages. Why might you think Zevin chose to lay out her story this way?
- Books play an important role in Young Jane Young. For example, The Scarlet Letter was referenced. Is a comparison between Aviva and Hester fair? Is the internet Aviva’s scarlet letter?
- What does the title mean to you?